Rescue Center Gives Wildlife a Second Chance in Nicaragua

The Animal Rescue Center is giving injured and traumatized animals a second chance at life in Nicaragua, which may be home to up to 10 percent of the planet’s biodiversity.

About three animals suffering from stress, physical injuries or on the verge of death arrive at the center, located 16 kilometers (about 10 miles) outside Managua, each day.

“Animals come here when their owners no longer want to keep them because they are sick, because they hurt them, because they no longer know how to care for them or because they were going to kill them,” the center’s chief veterinarian, Eduardo Sacasa, said.

Up to 95 percent of the animals surrendered at the center eventually end up back in the Central American country’s forests.

The center literally performs miracles, taking in animals that are in bad shape and helping them recover, all the while functioning with no budget to support its operations.

Some 85 percent of the animals received at the center are “donations” from owners or people who rescued the creatures from a dangerous situation, while the other 15 percent are seized by the Environment and Natural Resources Ministry, the center said.

Animals are evaluated by veterinarians, treated, fed, given medications and rehabilitated.

The goal is to eventually be able to release animals with tracking collars in the forests of Nicaragua’s Caribbean region so scientists can study their condition and movements.

This is a big project for an institution with zero money in its budget, but it will be rolled out with the assistance of a specialist from the University of Michigan, Sacasa said.

The center will continue trying to survive with the assistance of animal lovers.

Source |