Mexico, third place worldwide in animal abuse

In Mexico, a million pets are being abused by beatings, neglect and poor nutrition, among other abuses, so it is necessary to equate these actions with the crimes of rape, injury, murder and abandonment, to specify the various sanctions that correspond to each act.

In an initiative that promotes the deputy Merilyn Gomez Pozos (MC) to reform the Federal Penal Code, it is recognized that the forms of animal abuse there are variants such as rape, sexual abuse, torture, injury, neglect and death, among others, and each one should be punished with different penalty depending on the severity.

She notes that this problem plagues everyone, but our country is number three on animal cruelty. Refer to malnutrition, lack of attention, lack of natural development, cruelty, suffering, bestiality, neglect, abuse and distortion of their physical characteristics, they are problems that suffer these beings and they are increasing.

Proposes to add Section 265 of the Federal Penal Code to establish that it will be equivalent to the offense of rape when the act is committed against any living animal, and shall be punished with up to half of the penalties for it, the penalty provided for in Article 265 in force is eight to twenty years in prison.

It also adds Article 301, which states that the injuries committed against any living animal, be comparable to injuries against persons, and is punishable by up to half of the penalties for each case and apply to incite animals to inflict injuries among them.

It also proposes a new Article 307 to the person who deprives the life of an animal shall be punished with up to half of the penalties for murder in each case. The proposal of Gomez Pozos specifies that injury and death in bullfights and cockfights, or for scientific or educational purposes shall be exempt from criminal penalties, and will be governed by the laws in this area.

Points out in Article 335, to abandon an animal that was under the care of a person, is comparable to the crime of abandonment of person will the same penalties for those who commit it. The penalty provided for in Article 335 is one month to four years in prison.

With these reforms, outlined in the document will include Mexico in the fight against these violations, to prevent abuses of these beings, because despite the high rate of abuse and unethical conduct against animals, is just beginning to take seriously and the importance that these acts deserve.

“We are making progress, but we still have a lot.” She reports that according to figures from the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (INEGI -in spanish), Mexico is number three on animal cruelty country; has 18 million dogs, of which only 30 percent have owner while the remaining 70 percent is in the streets by direct neglect or as the result of the breeding of the homeless animals.

She notes that, according to INEGI, only in the State of Mexico there are three million dogs, one for every five inhabitants; while studios Adoption Center and Animal Rescue, AC, reveal seven out of 10 are victims of abuse and neglect, having strays and those who are homeless.

“There are also cats, birds and rodents, and begins to even consider pigs and some exotic animals such as lions, tigers and jaguars,” which are abandoned in residential areas because they can not feed them and care for them, endangering the life of the Animal and citizens.

She also stresses that one of the main causes of this situation is the indiscriminate sale of animals, and the irresponsibility of those who give them away without analyzing the possibilities of giving the deserved care and if the dependents understand the importance and responsibility involved, which gives rise to abuse, because the culture of caring for them does not exist in our country.

Several States reformed their penal code to criminalize all kind of animal cruelty and established sanctions, like Mexico City, Colima, Jalisco, Puebla, Veracruz, San Luis Potosi, the Yucatan and Guanajuato, where economic sanctions were established in community and prison labor.

However, in many states it is not considered an issue of great importance and, being classed as infringement, so animal abuse becomes a permissible act.

“Abusing an animal can not be categorized in the same way as running a stop sign . Nonviolence, responsibility and care for the life of any being, must be a priority of public interest in our country, ” stresses the document.

Source | http://www.cambiodemichoacan.com.mx

Advertisements